JWU Mens Tennis Wins GNAC Championship
Weymouth, Mass.—The Johnson & Wales men’s tennis
team captured the 2008 Great Northeast Athletic Conference
Championship with a 5-4 victory against Suffolk at the Weymouth
Tennis club on Saturday evening. Senior Stuart Fodiman
(Oakville, Conn.) was named the Most Valuable Player of the
Johnson & Wales took a 2-1 lead after doubles play as Fodiman and senior John Bauernfeind (High Bridge, N.J.) posted an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles. Senior Tit Hudarin (Valenje, Slovenia) sophomore Henrik Arnbert (Gothenburg, Sweden) took an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles to give the Wildcats the 2-1 advantage.
In singles action, Suffolk responded with wins at No. 3, 4 and 5 while Fodiman and Hudarin notched victories at No. 1 and 2 singles respectively to tie the match at 4-4. In the final match of the evening, sophomore Devin Kitterick (Bridgewater, Mass.) had a thrilling win at No. 6 singles. Kitterick dropped the first set 7-5 and rallied for a 7-5 win in the second set, tying the match at 1-1. In the third set, Kitterick came back from being down 4-0 and 5-2 to notch the 7-5 win and give the Wildcats the title.
With the win JWU is now 11-1 while Suffolk falls to 8-5.
1. Stuart Fodiman (JWU) def. Pedro Soares (SUF) 6-2, 6-4
2. Tit Hudarin (JWU) def. Chris Delisi (SUF) 7-5, 6-3
3. Jared Orkin (SUF) def. John Bauernfeind (JWU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Justin Ayoub (SUF) def. Henrick Arnbert (JWU) 6-1, 6-2
5. John Samander (SUF) def. Roshan Thacker (JWU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Devin Kitterick (JWU) def. Garrett Freeman (SUF) 6-7, 7-5, 7-5
1. Fodiman/Bauernfeind (JWU) def. Soares/Delisi (SUF) 8-5
2. Hudarin/Arnbert (JWU) def. Freeman/Pratt (SUF) 8-1
Orkin/ Samander (SUF) def. Thacker/Kitterick (JWU) 8-1
Courtesy: JWU Athletics