FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Courtesy of JWU Athletics Communications
MEDFORD, Mass. – Next year when the Johnson & Wales University and Colby-Sawyer College women's tennis teams meet in the postseason it could be for the conference championship, but on Friday they fought to keep their seasons alive in the NCAA Tournament. Unfortunately, the Chargers came out on top, defeating the Wildcats, 5-0, at the Voute Courts on the campus of Tufts University.
The loss ended the Wildcats' season at 15-2. Both of their losses this year came to Colby Sawyer. The Chargers improved to 17-5 and face the winner of John Jay and MIT in the second round.
Colby Sawyer swept all three doubles matches to start the day. Madison Hernandez won her first set at number six singles and Lauren Torre had a second-set lead before the matches were halted. Taylor Klein lost 6-1, 6-0 at number two and Nina Cohen was defeated 6-2, 6-2.
Colby Sawyer 5, Johnson & Wales 0
May 11, 2019 at Mendon, Mass. (Tufts University Voute Courts)
1. Ashley Woodside (CSC) def. Nina Cohen (JWU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Yashu Yang (CSC) def. Taylor Klein (JWU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Claire Parry (JWU) vs. Evelyn Miller (CSC) 6-7 (2), 0-1, unfinished
4. Lauren Torre (JWU) Aislinn O'Connor (CSC) 1-6, 4-3, unfinished
5. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) Maddy Gemerek (CSC) 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
6. Madison Hernandez (JWU) Lauren Blanchard (CSC) 6-0, 3-2, unfinished
1. Ashley Woodside/Yashu Yang (CSC) def. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) 8-3
2. Evelyn Miller/Aislinn O'Connor (CSC) def. Claire Parry/Thapenga Flores (JWU) 8-2
3. Maddy Gemerek/Lauren Blanchard (CSC) def. Madison Hernandez/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) 8-0
Johnson & Wales: 15-2
Colby Sawyer: 17-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2, 1)